HISTORY OF HUTTON LOWCROSS WOMEN'S INSTITUTE
It all started back in July 1952, we were part of The Yorkshire Federation of Women's Institute's, which was part of the National Federation of Women's Institute's.
In 1972 The National Federation decided to reform, to keep in line with local government boundary changes.Yorkshire had 600 Institutes and 27,000 members when WI's national council voted to split up the Yorkshire Federation, they were contemplating an unprecedented UDI breakaway from National leaders in London. It took eight years, but after an ultimatum from London to finally come into line, or get out, the Yorkshire County Executive Committee voted to remain loyal to its members, who had voted overwhelmingly earlier in the year to remain a single Federation.
There was a re-organisation into North Yorkshire, East,West and Cleveland. A Special General Meeting took place at Newstead School on March 10th 1983, this was to decide the future of Hutton Lowcross WI. If there was not enough support, then members would be asked that
"Hutton Lowcross WI be dissolved" Fortunately a new committee was formed, President elect was Mrs Angela Hibberd.
Membership fees in 1952 were 3/6p. Friends of members were welcome at a charge of 6p. We met in The Mission, Hutton Village, moving to the School House, then Newstead Primary School until 1990. We moved again to our current meeting place of Sunnyfield House in 1991/92, this was to accommodate rising membership numbers.
There were originally three WI's in Guisborough. Guisborough WI opened in 1923, but due to a fall in numbers had to close its doors on December 11th 1997, then there was Galley Hill WI which opened on January 29th 1977, again due to a fall in numbers it also closed its doors on December 10th 1997. The ladies joined Hutton Lowcross and continue to carry on the WI message.
On July 12th 2012 we celebrated our 60th birthday. We did this in style at Gisborough Hall. We all arrived in our finery, this included both past and present members and to add to the day, the sun was shining. A full day had been organised, this included lunch, birthday cake and a toast, a harpist to entertain, a speaker, memorabilia and much more. It was a thoroughly enjoyable day, something to remember. Our President was Mrs Angela Hibberd, who was President as previously mentioned during 1983.
We are moving on into the 21st Century now with the launch of our web-site, we have purchased a laptop and printer for WI use and we are trying to raise our profile to encourage new members.
We need the Women's Institute to carry on more than ever and help it celebrate its centenary in 2015.